Resource Depletion Links
The following links are to various sites that discuss the problems, alternative solutions, and risks of resource depletion.
General Analysis of the Problems
- Resource Depletion, by Donella
- Peak Oil — Gateway to topic.
- Rocky Mountain Institute, Cofounded by Amory Lovins — Comprehensive analysis.
- Energy Victory, by Robert Zubrin. — Leading space engineer reviews our energy policy alternatives.
- Alternative Fuels: An Energy Technology Perspective , by Dolf Gielen & Fridtjof Unander — International Energy Agency.
- Conflict & Security — As they may be caused by resource depletion and ecological problems.
Various Alternatives and Risks
Space-based Solar Power
Steady supply and can deliver to any point on Earth or even to ships at sea and aircraft in the air.
- Space Solar Power — An alternative solution to need for energy.
Mineral resources from space
We could mine metals using robots and deliver the metal as foam blocks shaped like the space shuttle that would descend to a water landing and be picked up by ships.
- SpaceX — Private space transport service.
- Virgin Galactic — Commercial spaceline service.
- Private spaceflight companies — List of all known.
- Space Resources: Materials, Ed. by Mary Fae McKay, David S. McKay, and Michael B. Duke, 1992 — National Space Society.
- Asteroid Mining, by Richard E. Gertsch.
- Mining The Sky: Untold Riches From The Asteroids, Comets, And Planets, by John S Lewis, 1997 — Book.
- Is Profitable Asteroid Mining a Pragmatic Goal?, 23 Feb. 2011 — Spacewealth.org.
- The Technical and Economic Feasibility of Mining the Near-Earth Asteroids, by M J Sonter, Oct 2, 1998 — Space Future.
- Gold rush in space?, by BBC News Online Science Editor Dr David Whitehouse — Analysis of how it could be done.
- Capturing Near Earth Objects, by Hexi Baoyin, Yang Chen, Junfeng Li, 24 Aug 2011, Department of Aerospace Engineering, Tsinghua University 100084 Beijing, China — Chinese interest in asteroid mining.
Ground-based Solar Power and Photovoltaic Technology
Only a solution during unclouded daylight hours, as we presently don't have a comparably efficient way to store that much energy. So, a supplement but not a full replacement.
- National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) — Photovoltaic (PV) research is focused on decreasing the nation's reliance on fossil-fuel generated electricity.
- US Department of Energy - Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy — U.S. government efforts.
- Sun catchers tuned to crank out the juice, by R. Colin Johnson, — eeTimes.
Only a solution while wind is blowing. So, a supplement but not a full replacement.
- American Wind Energy Association — Trade association for industry.
- Pickens Plan — Effort sponsored by T. Boone Pickens.
Steady supply but only economically feasible in certain locations.
- Geothermal Energy Association — Trade association for industry.
- International Geothermal Association — Trade association for industry.
Risks of Nuclear Power
- Nuclear proliferation — Wikipedia.
- The Search for Proliferation-Resistant Nuclear Power, by Harold Feiveson — Federation of American Scientists report.
- Nuclear Energy - No Solution to Climate Change — Greenpeace background paper.
Risks of Coal Power
- Carbon Risk, Coal, and Higher Electricity Prices — Union of Concerned Scientists. Why coal-generated electricity will cost more than utilities claim.
Futures for Earth, Jon Roland
Winter and Other Scenarios, Jon Roland