This page is under construction. Please send an mistakes that you notice to
email@example.com , thank you.
We, the people of Cambodia
Accustomed to having been an outstanding civilization, a prosperous,
large, flourishing and glorious nation, with high prestige radiating line a
Having declined grievously during the past two decades, having gone
through suffering and destruction, and having been weakened terribly,
Having awakened and resolutely rallied and determined to unite for the
consolidation of national unity, the preservation and defense of Cambodia's
territory and precious sovereignty and the fine Angkor civilization, and the
restoration of Cambodia into an " Island of Peace" based on multi-party liberal
democratic responsibility for the nation's future destiny of moving toward
perpetual progress, development, prosperity, and glory,
WITH THIS RESOLUTE WILL
We inscribe the following as the Constitution of the Kingdom of Cambodia:
- Cambodia is a Kingdom with a King who shall rule according to the
Constitution and to the principles of liberal democracy and pluralism.
- The Kingdom of Cambodia shall be an independent, sovereign, peaceful,
permanently neutral and non-aligned country
- The territorial integrity of the Kingdom of Cambodia shall absolutely
not be violated within its borders as defined in the 1/100,000 scale map made
between the years 1933-1953 and internationally recognized between the years
- The Kingdom of Cambodia is an indivisible State
- The motto of the Kingdom of Cambodia is: " Nation, Religion, King ".
- The official language and script are Khmer.
- Phnom Penh is the capital of the Kingdom of Cambodia.
- The national flag, anthem and coat-of arms shall be defined in Annexes 1,
II and III.
The King Article 7-
- The King of Cambodia shall reign but shall not govern.
- The King shall be the Head of State for life.
- The King shall be inviolable.
- The King of Cambodia shall be a symbol of unity and eternity of the
- The King shall be the guarantor of the national independence,
sovereignty, and territorial integrity of the Kingdom of Cambodia, the protector
of rights and freedom for all citizens and the guarantor of international
- The King shall assume the august role of arbitrator to ensure the
faithful execution of public powers.
- The Cambodian monarchy shall be an appointed regime.
- The King shall not have the power to appoint a heir to the throne.
- If the King cannot perform His normal duties as Head of State due to
His serious illness as certified by doctors chosen by the President of the
Assembly and the Prime Minister, the President of the Assembly shall perform
the duties of Head of State as "Regent".
- In case of the death of the King, the president of the Assembly shall
take over the responsibility as Acting head of State in the capacity of Regent
of the Kingdom of Cambodia.
- Within a period of not more than seven days, the new King of the
Kingdom of Cambodia shall be chosen by the Royal Council of the Throne.
The Royal Council of The Throne shall consist of:
- The president of the National Assembly
- The Prime Minister
- Samdech the Chiefs of the orders of Mohanikay and Thammayut.
- The First and Second Vice- President of the Assembly.
- The organization and functioning of the council Throne shall be determined
- The King of Cambodia shall be a member of t he Royal family, of at
least 30 years, descending from the blood line of King Ang Duong, King
Norodom or King Sisowath.
- Upon enthronement, the King shall take the oath of allegiance as
stipulated in Annex IV.
- The wife of the reigning King shall have the royal title of QUEEN of
- The Queen of the Kingdom of Cambodia shall not have the right to
engage in politics, to assume the role of Head of State or head of Government,
or to assume other administrative or political roles.
- The Queen of the Kingdom of Cambodia shall exercise activities that
serves the social, humanitarian , religious interests, and shall assist the King
with protocol and diplomatic functions.
The provision as stated in the first clause of
Article 7, " the King shall
reign but shall not govern", absolutely not be amended.
- The King shall communicate with the Assembly by royal messages.
These royal messages shall not be subjected to discussion by the National